Safe and Respectful Environment
All participants at SIGCSE TS 2023 should be able to participate fully in all events in a safe and respectful environment. To ensure this, please review the ACM’s policy against discrimination and harassment.
We expect all participants at SIGCSE TS 2023 to abide by the ACM policy in all venues, including ancillary events and unofficial social gatherings:
- Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions;
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech;
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants;
- Alert community leaders if you notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of this policy, even if they seem inconsequential.
Please see the ACM Policy Against Harassment for a list of unacceptable behavior, and we quote “Harassment can occur when there is no deliberate intention to offend. Be careful in the words that you choose. Harassment committed in a joking manner or disguised as a compliment still constitutes unacceptable behavior. Remember that sexist, racist, and other exclusionary jokes can be offensive to those around you.”
Witnessing Unacceptable Behavior
If you experience or see someone else experience behavior that violates this policy, please report it. There are three options to reporting behavior:
- You can contact the Symposium Co-Chairs, Maureen Doyle, and Ben Stephenson, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are uncomfortable contacting the co-chairs or aren’t sure you want to report it, please contact our SIGCSE TS 2023 Ethics Facilitators, Francisco Castro, and Sara Hooshangi, at email@example.com. This email only goes to Francisco and Sara.
- You can always contact ACM directly at https://services.acm.org/harass/harass.cfm.
SIGCSE TS 2023 has asked two SIGCSE members without any affiliation to the SIGCSE TS 2023 committee to serve as SIGCSE TS 2023 Ethics Facilitators. You can contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org or through the WebEx application. All emails go only to Sara Hooshangi and Francisco Castro. If you are attending in person, you can also contact them in Toronto. You can find more information about them at https://sigcse2023.sigcse.org/committee/sigcse-ts-2023-ethics-facilitators.
Please refer to ACM’s policy against discrimination and harassment for ACM’s policy for the consequences of unacceptable behavior and addressing grievances.